The city of lakes has observed many developmental projects which in future will surely set a tone for International accreditation. In the last four years, the city has witnessed approval for various developmental programmes. The city has honoured itself as it was included in the Smart City Project. Thanekars will be benefited with upcoming approved projects including metro, cluster redevelopment, an extension of Kopri Bridge on the Eastern Express Highway and the new railway station in the near future. Guardian minister of Thane Eknath Shinde holds the lions share in the entire developmental projects. Civic Commissioner Sanjeev Jaiswal too played an important in the process of development projects in the city. Let’s have a glance at the proposed projects in the city which can set standards with the neighbouring metropolitan city Mumbai:-
Thane Cluster Development
- The first ever project in the country where the entire city will be modified and eventually will change the standard of living of the people.
- 23,000 colonies will be constructed under the project. The residents staying in illegal buildings will also get the relief and also the legal and dangerous buildings are included in the scheme.
- Around 13 lakh Thanekars are going to get new homes under the Cluster Development Scheme
- The Corporation has prepared 43 Urban Renewal Plans (URP) in the 8 sectors of the city which is the first phase under the scheme and is expected to be on the move by this October.
- Out of the 5,903 hectares of land in the city around 1,477.18 hectares of land will be developed in the first phase.
- The first phase will be implemented in five sectors where there will be the development of 23 per cent area.
- The first five sectors where the first phase of the cluster development will take place are Lokmanya Nagar, Rabodi, and Wagle Estate area of Thane city.
- Residents can get free homes up till 300 square feet and will have to pay if they want additional area.
- Residents will have commercial centres, city centres and community centres in their respected URP’s.
- The scheme aims at the all-round development of the city by increasing road network, open spaces, green zones and civic amenities.
- Each and every development under this scheme will provide residents with modern facilities and amenities.
Wadala to Kasarvadavali Metro Train
- The masterpiece that Thane has received in the last 4 years is the extended Metro train from Wadala to Kasarvadavali.
- Metro Line 4 which will run from Wadala to Kasarvadavali is a 32.32 km long elevated corridor with 32 stations.
- The estimated cost of the metro project is Rs 14,549 crore. The construction work of the project has been already started and the Metro line 4 is expected to be completed by 2022.
- The Maharashtra Cabinet approved the Metro 4 elevated corridor project on 27th September 2016. Half of the project costs will be provided by the Centre and the State government whereas the rest half will be funded by the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
Extending lanes of Kopri Bridge.
- Thanekar will seek a sigh of relief after the 600m stretched Kopri Bridge will be widened into a six-lane road.
- The state government had approved Rs 259 crores for the road widening project of the Eastern Express Highway.
- In the first phase, two new lanes will be constructed on either side of the bridge. During the work, the vehicular movement will continue from the existing two-lane bridge. It will be completed in 18 months.
- In the second phase, the newly constructed four lanes will be open for traffic and the MMRDA will demolish the existing two-lane bridge and construct a new one. The second phase will also be completed in 18 months.
New station to be developed between Mulund-Thane.
- Thanekars will get a new railway station between Thane and Mulund near the Mental hospital which will curb the traffic problem of the city to some extent.
- Recently the cabinet approved the proposal of the new railway station project as the health department agreed to provide 14.5 acres of land for the project.
- Thane Municipal will pay double TDR against the land to the Health Department which will be used for further development of Mental Hospital.
- The estimated total cost for the new railway station is 290 crores out of which Rs 260 crores will be provided under Smart City project and the rest Rs 30 crores will be provided by the municipal corporation of Thane.
The upcoming projects and undergoing projects are the results of rigorous efforts and proper follow-ups of the leaders of Thane. Thanekars are going to observe the pleasant days of their life very soon. People will have to face many difficulties and obstacles while going through the developmental projects. There is a saying, “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.” No doubt today’s struggle of Thanekars is going to serve them with the golden days of their life in the future.